Sunday, March 23, 2008

RSS & Bloglines

In Week 4 I learnt what RSS was and learnt how to subscribe to many feeds. With RSS you can get updated news and information delivered to you! I was able to subscribe to the 5 feeds mentioned in the course. For the SMH News Blog I chose a health blog called "Chew on this" which gives news and views about eating smarter. I also added in the BBC News blogs and ABC World news. When I was uploading photos onto Flickr, I noticed the RSS logo on my photopage and subscribed to that feed as well. From a library point of view I would say the ABS for librarians would be usueful and just a while a ago when I checked that feed it gave me information about their latest publication of the 2006 Census Social Atlas Series giving data on a variety of topics. I also subscribed to the NSW Board of Studies News, which would be a useful tool to our Year 11 & 12 students, especially with the HCS exams approaching soon.

I think this method of subscribing can be a wonderful tool if used to its full potential. However, the downfall would be, will we be able to keep up with all this updated news? How often will we have time to check the feeds? We will be lucky if we are able to check at least 1 news feed a day. In all spheres, news gets updatesd so fast, can we keep up with it?

No comments: